Monday, September 5, 2011

"I Hate Packing!"

     "I hate packing!" These were my exact words as I taped up another box and began the arduous task of sorting and placing books in it. My husband replied, "write your blog about it."  

    Well, this is as good as any subject for my first blog.  You see, this blogging thing is new for me. It is not so much the writing I'm uneasy about -- but the idea that I'm hanging out my thoughts in cyberspace for anyone to stumble across them.  I ask, "who cares what I think about packing?"  Or - "why do I want anyone to know and care that I am packing boxes and dreading every moment of it?" 

The First of Many More Boxes
     Yet, somehow, it is my hope that writing this blog will do a couple of things for me. First, help me become a better writer. And secondly, help me to become comfortable with the concept that occasionally I have worthwhile thoughts, which if expressed might just touch someone else and inspire their life.

     So, today I find myself packing boxes once again. I hate packing,  because I have done so much of it in the past 30 some years, always in the process of moving. And I'm tired of moving!. I'm a settler at heart. I long to establish a space to call "home" and to prepare it to be comfortable and expressive of me. A place where I can find rest and be at peace. A place that can inspire me to develop my creative nature and allow me to comfortably indulge in my hobbies and interests.
Unfortunately, every time I think, "this will be our last move, finally I can put down my roots,"  I find myself pulling out boxes and packing yet once again.

     Today, is only a small thing.  My husband has to clear out an office space where his books have been sitting so it can be used for another purpose. In order to do that, books in the the house need to be sorted, packed up and in some cases gotten rid of, in order to make room for the relocation of his books. Although we aren't 'moving' at this time, I know a move to another location is likely to happen within the year.  In reaction to this anticipation, I'm experiencing packing these books not as -- just getting them out of the way for something else -- I see them as the beginning of the long and unforgiving process of preparing to move yet once again.  Hand me another box and some tape would you please?!


No comments: